Young professional award
The Association of European Cancer Leagues European Conference on Tobacco or Health (ECToH) young professional award
The Association of European Cancer Leagues ECToH Young Professional Award is to recognize and support newer careerist professionals that have advanced tobacco control in areas of research, advocacy, policy and practice. The award is granted to participants judged on the quality of the abstracts and their CVs submitted to the conference.
The winner will be presented with the Association of European Cancer Leagues/ECToH Young Professional Award in Berlin by the President of the Association of European Cancer Leagues (the Association of European Cancer Leagues), Dr. Sakari Karjalainen.
travel grant up to 2.000 € to attend the next WCToH in Dublin, Ireland 2021 (travel, accommodation, and expenses against receipts) in order to present his/her work and to maintain a network at global level.
This travel grant is provided by the Cancer Society of Finland.
600 € the Association of European Cancer Leagues subsidy for attending the 2020 ECToH.
400 € the Association of European Cancer Leagues subsidy for attending the 2020 ECToH.
An award-winning ceremony will take place during ECToH Berlin.
Criteria for application
31st October 2019
- Age 35 years or younger at the time of the application deadline;
- Presently active in tobacco control including research, advocacy, policy or practice;
- Abstract has been submitted to ECToH 2020;
- Never been affiliated with the tobacco industry, directly or indirectly
Applications must include the following and submitted to ECToH@europeancancerleagues.org by 31st October 2019:
- motivation letter
- copy of abstract that has been submitted to ECToH 2020
The applications are reviewed by ECToH committee members, and suggestions for nominations are sent to the Association of European Cancer Leagues board, who votes on the winners.
Criteria for evaluation
Efforts will be given to recognize individuals working (either paid or volunteer) from WHO EURO Member States;
In the abstract submitted awardees will have contributed to advancing tobacco control in the following ways:
- Contributing to the advancement of the WHO-FCTC either in their country, in Europe or globally;
- Planning, implementing and evaluating innovative research in the area of tobacco control;
- Advocacy activity within their country, in Europe or globally;
- Advancing healthy policy development;
- Developing and/or implementing innovative and functional tobacco cessation methods and strategies and/or prevention initiatives;
- Knowledge-transfer efforts to translate tobacco control research to practice.
Winner of the past
Since the 2011 ECToH in Amsterdam, the Association of European Cancer Leagues ECToH Young Professional Awards are made available to recognize and support newer careerist professionals that have advanced tobacco control in areas of research, advocacy, policy and/or practice. The award is to be granted to participants judged on the quality of the abstracts and their CVs submitted to the ECToH conference.
|1ˢᵗ prize||Gera Nagelhout||Netherlands|
|2ⁿᵈ prize||Jan Peloza||Slovenia|
|3ʳᵈ prize||Ute Mons||Germany|
|1ˢᵗ prize||Constantine Vardavas||Greece|
|2ⁿᵈ prize||Tessa Langley||United Kingdom|
|3ʳᵈ prize||Vasiliki Kiparoglou||United Kingdom|
|1ˢᵗ prize||Heide Weishaar||Germany|
|2ⁿᵈ prize||Laura Currie||Ireland|
|3ʳᵈ prize||Zeena Harakeh||Netherlands|